The Federal Government will work with the Victorian Government and other states and territories to start to build the foundations for a national disability insurance scheme.
The Productivity Commission's final report into the disability care and support system in Australia was released yesterday.
The main recommendations of the Productivity Commission are:
- A national disability insurance scheme should be created. The scheme would provide all Australians with insurance for the costs of support if they acquire a significant disability. The scheme will provide individually tailored care and support to around 410,000 people with significant disabilities
- A national injury insurance scheme should be created. The scheme would provide no fault insurance for anyone who suffers a catastrophic injury.
Transform disability services
The Productivity Commission believes it will take at least seven years to transform disability services.
The Federal Government says it supports the vision of a system that provides individuals with the support they need over their lifetime.
Australian governments have all acknowledged that the current system is not delivering the kind of care and support Australians expect for people with a disability.
Start work immediately
The Federal Government and all states and territories will start work immediately on reforms.
The government says it will:
- Deliver an immediate, additional $10 million to support technical policy work
- Establish a select council of ministers to lead reform at the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) meeting next month
- Establish an advisory group to provide expert advice on delivering the foundations for reform and preparation for launch.
The Victorian Government has welcomed the release of the Productivity Commission report.
The Victorian Coalition has consistently advocated for a better deal for people living with a disability, their families and their carers, says Victorian Premier Ted Baillieu.
We also provided comprehensive advice to the Productivity Commission on how the scheme should work based on Victoria's innovative approach to disability service delivery.
It is now up to governments across Australia to use the good work done by the Productivity Commission to make an NDIS a workable, sustainable reality.